GUIDELINES FOR TRANSLATING THE CONCISE AACR2, 1988 REVISION BY MICHAEL GORMAN, TRANSLATED INTO VIETNAMESE
BY LAM VINH-THE AND PHAM THI LE-HUONG
The Concise AACR2 / by Michael Gorman. Chicago : ALA, 1989.
The translators have set the basic guidelines for translating this work, as follows:
* Securing the permission from the author (Mr. Michael Gorman) and the copyright holders (ALA, CLA, LA).
* Translation guidelines:
** The translation must be word-by-word reflecting truthfully the context and style of the original.
** Standard sources to be followed:
1. ALA Tu Dien Giai Nghia Thu Vien Hoc va Tin Hoc Anh Viet = The ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science / Heartsill Young, ed., translated by Pham Thi Le-Huong, Lam Vinh-The and Nguyen Thi Nga. Tucson, AZ: Galen Press, 1996, with some modifications to accommodate the current usage in Vietnam;
2. Tu Dien Chinh Ta [Dictionary of Orthography] / Hoang Phe, Le Anh Hien, Dao Than. Hanoi: Nha Xuat Ban Giao Duc, 1988.
3. Tu Dien Tieng Viet [Vietnamese Dictionary] / Hoang Phe, et al. Hanoi: Trung Tam Tu Dien Ngon Ngu, 1992.
** Additional Parts Added to the Translated Work:
· Illustration Part to be added to the book in order to help users in their application of the Rules. Acquiring some Vietnamese materials published in Vietnam to be used for Illustration Part. All items were presented uniformly as follows:
- information from the title page (or container, or first page, etc.)
- other information
- suggested catalog card
- listing of applied rules:
Items used in this Illustration Part were selected based on the following criteria:
- published in Vietnam (with only a few exceptions)
- representing several types of materials
- representing several types of headings
- representing several kinds of description details
· Comparative terminology list was added to the translated version of the book in order to facilitate the reading of the text for the users due to the lack of standardized terminologies in library and information science in Vietnam.
· List of the Countries of the World was added to the translated version of the book in order to help the catalogers to make a corporate name heading while applying the geographic rules (Rules 45-47 CAACR2)
* Timeline for Completion of the Translation:
· Two years (1997-1999).
· Revision by The National Library of Vietnam staff (2001-2002) ; upon the request by Mr. Pham The Khang, Director of NLV, the final revision was done by Mr. Vu Van Son, Secretary General, Vietnam Association for Scientific & Technological Information and Documentation (VASTID) (June 2002).
· Publication date projected: November 2002.